September 2020 - April 2021
Formerly Battle Chess
For my final year project at university I decided to create a fantasy x-com prototype with enemy movement based on chess, the theme changed multiple times through production but the core elements are the same: A player with x-com inspired tile based movement & enemies with chess based movement. However, during development I became enamoured with the idea of spawning all elements in which led to me creating an in-depth spawn system using data tables to create the level layout as well as the enemy and player spawns.
As the sole developer on this project I took on all roles other than producer which was filled by my project supervisor.
Roles and responsibilities:
Creating the design document.
Planning out all technical elements.
Creating a grid spawning system with added functions for creating player spawns, enemy spawns, camera blocks & enemies, as well as different enemy types.
Creating an in depth and customisable breadth first search system for player movement as well as a much simpler version for enemy movement.
All other technical elements.
Planning out 10 simple levels to demonstrate the prototypes capabilities
Creating a basic menu system
Creating the main UI screen & prototype menu which allows for quick level traversal
Conducting numerous playtest to help determine the state of the prototype as well as to discover missed bugs